When is the contest?
Saturday, October 29, 2022 at the Texas Fleece & Fiber Festival, Hill Country Youth Event Center, Kerrville, TX. Contestants should arrive at 8:30 am for check in. Judging starts at 9:30. Fashion show is at 1 pm. Event will be catered by Buzzee’s BBQ and The Pie Source.
Who can enter?
- Preteens – age 12 and under
- Juniors – ages 13 to 16
- Seniors – ages 17 to 24
- Adults – age 25 and older
- The age category will be determined by your age as of January 1, 2020.
What can I enter?
- Juniors, Seniors, Adults, and Made for Others may enter:
- One piece garments: dress, jumpers, lined outerwear jackets, coats, and capes
- Two piece garments: lined outwear coats, jackets or capes, blouse/shirt, vest, and/or sweater with dress, jumper, skirt, pants or shorts.
- Ensemble = 3 or more garments worn together at one time
- Pre-teens may enter: Dress, jumpers, skirt, pants, shorts, vest, sweaters, shirt/blouse, jacket or a combination of garments.
- 3-D Art – all age groups
- Sculptures and needle felted art
- Items must be at least 80% wool and 80% hand felted
- Wearable or Non Wearable Accessories
- Vests, purses, hats, and jewelry
- Wall hangings, pillows, quilts, rugs, etc made of 60% wool
- Items must be completed after January 1 of the contest year
Examples of previous Texas state winners:
What fabrics/yarns can I use?
- 100% wool or wool blend (minimum of 60% wool or specialty fiber).
- Specialty wool fibers include mohair, cashmere, alpaca, camel, and llama
- The entire garment body (back, front and sleeves) must be wool or wool-blend fabric.
- Trims, facings, linings, interfacings and underlinings may be fabrics other than wool or wool blends.
Texas State Prizes:
- Cash, wool fabric, machines, and sewing notions.
- Junior and Senior winners in clothing categories win an expense paid trip to the National Contest.
How can I enter?
- Entry forms are located here: https://texasmakeitwithwool.com
- Additional information and updates can be found on our Facebook page and Instagram page.
- To enter the Texas Sewing contest, send your entry form, a $12 entry fee, and two 5”x5” material samples to Kathy Mews, 2922 Arnold Rd, Menard, TX 76859.
- See entry form for details on entering the Fiber Arts contest.
- Entries must be postmarked by September 30, 2022.
- If you do not live in Texas, please visit the National Contest Website for information on your state’s contest.