What are the Objectives?
- To promote the beauty and versatility of wool and mohair fabrics and yarns
- To encourage personal creativity in working with wool and mohair
- To recognize creative skills
- To develop life skills, including:
- Being responsible for one’s self
- Being a good sport
- Accepting judge’s decision, and
- Learning about and appreciating diversity
When is the contest?
Saturday, November 18, 2017 at the Texas 4-H Conference Center, Brownwood, Texas
Who can enter?
- Preteens – age 12 and under
- Juniors – ages 13 to 16
- Seniors – ages 17 to 24
- Adults – age 25 and older
- The age category will be determined by your age as of January 1, 2017.
What can I Enter?
- Juniors, Seniors, Adults, and Made for Others may enter:
- One piece garments: dress, jumpers, lined outerwear jackets, coats, and capes
- Two piece garments: lined outwear coats, jackets or capes, blouse/shirt, vest, and/or sweater with dress, jumper, skirt, pants or shorts.
- Ensemble = 3 or more garments worn together at one time
- Pre-teens may enter: Dress, jumpers, skirt, pants, shorts, vest, sweaters, shirt/blouse, jacket or a combination of garments.
- 3-D Art – all age groups
- Sculptures and needle felted art
- Items must be at least 80% wool and 80% hand felted
- Wearable or Non Wearable Accessories
- Vests, purses, hats, and jewelry
- Wall hangings, pillows, quilts, rugs, etc made of 60% wool
- Items must be completed after January 1 of the contest year
Examples of previous Texas state winners:
What fabrics/yarns can I use?
- 100% wool or wool blend (minimum of 60% wool or specialty fiber).
- Specialty wool fibers include mohair, cashmere, alpaca, camel, and llama
- The entire garment body (back, front and sleeves) must be wool or wool-blend fabric.
- Trims, facings, linings, interfacings and underlinings may be fabrics other than wool or wool blends.
Texas State Prizes:
- Cash, wool fabric, machines, and sewing notions.
- Junior and Senior winners in clothing categories win an expense paid trip to the National Contest.
How can I enter?
- Entry forms are located here: 2017 MIWW Entry and 2017 Texas Only Contest.
- National entry forms are sent to both the state and national contests. Each form should have a 5”x5” sample of each fabric or a 5”x5” knitted, crocheted or woven swatch.
- Texas State entry fees are covered by our sponsors. State mailing address: 302 FM 473, Comfort, Texas 78013.
- National forms should be sent with a 5”x5” material sample and a $12 non-refundable entry fee.
- Entries must be postmarked by October 15, 2017
- If you do not live in Texas, please visit the National Contest Website for information on your state’s contest.
For additional information:
- 2017 MIWW Entry – National Brochure and Entry Form
- 2017 Texas Only Contest – Brochure and Entry Form
- National Entry Forms
Contact the Texas State Director Brenda Seidensticker at 830-995-2589 or firstname.lastname@example.org.